Although there is no definite explanation or storyline to the game, there is some speculation.
Explanation 1: The Dream JournalEdit
One of the more commonly accepted explanations is that this game is based on a dream journal authored by a young Japanese girl. The dream journal was titled "Beautiful Dream Journey" . The dream journal is based off of one written by Hiroko Nishikawa, a staff member at OutSide Directors' Company. .
Both the journal and the game document vivid, odd dreams over the course of a single year.
- Both the journal and the game take place in similar settings such as a "creepy, empty town" and a "circus with many connected tents".
- Some of the white text on the black screen is said to reference "Not having a dream that night", or dreams being "Too horrifying to recount". These are frequent entries in the journal.
Explanation 2: Alien Sleep StudyEdit
Another common explanation is your character being abducted by aliens and put into a hibernative state for an entire year. During this time, his/her dreams are eavesdropped on and recorded. The Grey Man, is also believed to be one of these aliens entering your dreams to observe your expressions, demeanor, and body language. When you see him he immediately leaves your dream, leaving this period of time blank, so it is also believed that you are simply "recalling" seeing him. Or having a vague flashback.
Although it may potentially explain a portion of events & things; this explanation is rather far-fetched, in terms of game mechanics and structure, but it does cover a lot of ground.
- There are a lot of references to aliens in the game. For example, The alien faces in the start menu.
- There is a cutscene of a large quantity of UFO's flying around cities.
- The scene of flying over a city, which could be a reference to the view from the UFO.
- The dream in which the player is in a long hallway that leads to a room that falls apart to reveal an open sky, could be the player remembering a hallway in the ship that leads to an exit, and altering it to familiarize the player with it.
- In one of the areas, there is cluster of generic flying saucer UFOs that frequently seem to end the player's dream when approached.
- In the zone filled with chasms, bridges, and rivers, there's a rocket that fires from one of the chasms. This could possibly also be another familiarized version of a sight the player remembered.
- In the Violence District, a flying spaceship can (rarely) be seen hovering through said location.